Tóchar Valley Rural Community Network
Mission: We are a voluntary autonomous grass root rural Community Network, committed to the empowerment of rural people in the development of sustainable rural communities.
Tóchar Valley Rural Community Network was established in1999, when 14 villages in South Mayo (now increased to 18 villages) decided to come together in order to empower local communities to:
- Tackle for themselves the problems they face and consider to be important
- To stem the decline in rural communities (e.g. rural depopulation, changing trends in agriculture and out migration of young people)
- To promote and encourage income generating activities (e.g. rural community tourism, craft productions, small food companies, etc.)
- To include in these developments, small farmers, rural dwellers, rural women and youth
- To respect, create, and develop an awareness of the natural environment.